Becoming a CPA in Quebec
Have you successfully completed your training outside of Canada and do you wish to become a CPA in Quebec? Get all the answers to your questions at the next information session.
Check our website to find out the date of the next information session (fall 2017).
Three steps to the CPA path
- Step 1 – Comparative evaluation of your studies
- Step 2 – Obtaining a list of qualifying courses (equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree)
- Step 3 – Opening a temporary file with the Order
Did you complete your studies outside Canada? If so, you must first obtain a comparative evaluation for your studies done outside Quebec (Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec) from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). You may also submit a credential evaluation from the World Education Services.
If your level of studies is similar to that of one of Quebec’s three-year undergraduate degrees, you can move on to step 2.
You must apply to one of the universities accredited by the Order.
The university will provide you with a list of qualifying undergraduate courses you must pass to obtain the equivalence of a degree. Please note that the Order reserves the right to amend the list as necessary.
Visit the Equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree page for more information about:
- the list of qualifying courses offered by each university;
- the process for contesting the list of courses;
- eligibility for the Professional Education Program (PEP).
You must open a temporary file with the Order to have the list of courses issued by the university approved.
All documents should be sent in a PDF format in the same email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comparative evaluation for your studies done outside Quebec (for studies done outside Canada)
- University level transcript(s)*
- University level degree(s)*
- List of qualifying courses duly completed and signed by the person in charge at the university
- Application for opening of temporary file Form [PDF]
- Resume (if you have worked in accounting in the past)
- Proof of membership in a foreign professional accounting organization (if applicable)
* Documents in a language other than French or English must be translated by a certified translator. If necessary, the Order reserves the right to request the original documents.
Your application will be processed within 120 days from the time you send your complete file to the Order.
Path leading to the CPA designation
Once you have completed your list of qualifing courses with the required grade point average, you will be allowed to register with the Order as a candidate and begin the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP).
If you wish to practice public accountancy (CPA auditor designation), make sure you know the requirements.