Becoming a CPA in Quebec
Four steps to the CPA path
- Step 1 – Comparative evaluation of your studies
- Step 2 – Completion of qualifying courses (equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree)
- Step 3 – Opening a file with the Order
- Step 4 – French test
Did you complete your studies outside Canada? If so, you must first obtain a comparative evaluation for your studies done outside Quebec (Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec) from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). You may also submit a credential evaluation from the World Education Services.
If your level of studies is similar to that of one of Quebec’s three-year undergraduate degrees in accounting, you can move on to step 2.
Step 2 – Successful completion of qualifying courses (equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree)
You must apply to one of the universities accredited by the Order.
The university will provide you with a list of qualifying undergraduate courses you must pass to obtain the equivalence of a degree. Please note that the Order reserves the right to amend the list as necessary.
Visit the Equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree page for more information about:
- the list of qualifying courses offered by each university;
- the process for contesting the list of courses;
- eligibility for the Professional Education Program (PEP).
You must open a temporary file with the Order to have the list of courses issued by the university approved. Your application will be processed within 120 days from the time you begin the process with the university.
- Comparative evaluation for your studies done outside Quebec (for studies done outside Canada)
- Proof of identity and/or status in Canada
- List of qualifying courses duly completed and signed by the person in charge at the university
* Documents in a language other than French or English must be translated by a certified translator. Documents can be sent by email. If necessary, the Order reserves the right to request the original documents.
Step 4 – French test
You must demonstrate that you are proficient in French by passing the French test of the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF), unless you can provide proof that you completed three years of full-time study in French.
Path leading to the CPA designation
Once you have completed the above steps, you will enter the same path as the other candidates for the CPA profession in Quebec. You must also pay the required fees.
If you wish to practice public accountancy (CPA auditor designation), make sure you know the requirements.