Public accountancy professional education and examination
You have sent the Order an Application for recognition in view of obtaining a public accountancy permit [PDF]? See the details regarding the professional education and public accountancy examination.
The Order’s Public accountancy committee reviews your file; depending on the results, you may be required to successfully complete the professional education module in public accountancy before sitting for the examination. This is a self-study module without any submissions or workshops.
The module covers the technical knowledge needed to obtain a public accountancy permit (CPA auditor designation), including assurance, taxation, financial reporting, finance as well as strategy and governance. The module provides in-depth coverage of the competencies of the elective assurance and taxation modules described in the CPA Competency Map.
A weekly study schedule is suggested to help you complete the module within the required timeframe. You should spend an average of 15 hours weekly on online self-study activities, which include the following:
Oracle is a knowledge repository of briefing documents as well as practice problems to assist in the development of technical competencies.
The library provides access to the CPA Canada Handbook collection, Federal Income Tax Collection and Canadian Professional Engagement Manual, so you may consult the assurance, taxation and financial reporting standards in effect.
These are examples of case analysis to help you practise.
Use the board to talk to other candidates enrolled in the module.
Public accountancy examination
This 4.5 hour national examination consists of 60 multiple-choice questions and 1 case analysis testing the module’s required technical knowledge.
You have up to three attempts to pass the examination.
Refer to the examination blueprint for the competency area weightings.
All CPA members who wish to obtain a public accountancy permit must pass the national examination.
Depending on the Public accountancy committee’s decision, you may be exempt from completing the prerequisite professional education module. If this is the case, we strongly recommend that you still enroll in the module, to maximize your chances of success.
To register for the module and/or examination, email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Six-digit CPA Quebec client number
- First and last name
- Name of module and examination: Public accountancy examination
- Registration type: Module and examination or examination only
The fees are payable by credit card within five days of your registration.
|Session||Registration deadline||Module duration||Examination1|
|Spring 2018||June 29, 2018||
Between May 1st and August 23, 2018
Duration: 8 weeks
|August 24, 2018
Results release date:
October 5, 2018, 9 a.m.
|Spring 2019||April 22, 2019||
Between May 1st and August 22, 2019
Duration: 8 weeks
|August 23, 2019
Results release date:
October 4, 2018. 9 a.m.
1 The examination will take place in Montreal (exact place to be determined).
|Registration2||Securexam licence2, 3||Total2|
|Module and examination||$1,437.19||$287.44||$1,724.63|
2 The amounts include taxes.
3 You must use the Securexam software to write the CPA Canada national examination.
Cancellation and refund policy
- A full refund may be issued if access to the Securexam licence has not been created. Once your access to Securexam is created, you cannot obtain a refund.
- A full refund may be issued if access to the module on the Brightspace (D2L) platform has not been created. Once your access is created, you cannot obtain a refund.
- Once you begin a module, you cannot obtain a refund for the examination. You may, however, defer writing the examination to the next session.
- A full refund will be issued for any cancellation made more than five days prior to the examination.
- A partial refund will be issued and a penalty will be charged for any cancellation made less than five days prior to the examination.
For questions, please contact the CPA Order by email at email@example.com.