Affiliations with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
We would like to take this opportunity to share some important details with you about our affiliations with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the three national accounting bodies as there has been misinformation circulating regarding the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with the ACCA:
- The MRA with the ACCA was negotiated by CGA-Canada on behalf of its affiliates. The ACCA MRA stipulates that it applies to members of CGA-Canada and all of the provisions of the MRA refer to that qualification.
- In August 2011, CGA-Canada and its other affiliates expelled the Quebec CGA Order from the CGA Affiliation Agreement. This expulsion took effect on August 2, 2012.
- On May 16, 2012, the National Assembly of Quebec passed the CPA Act, which unified the CA, CGA and CMA Orders to create the Quebec CPA Order.
- As a result of the expulsion by CGA-Canada and its other affiliates, the Quebec CPA Order has not had any legal affiliation with CGA-Canada since August 2012.
- In addition, in October 2012, an arbitrator officially confirmed, through a legally binding arbitration process, that as of August 2nd, 2012, the Quebec CPA Order was no longer an affiliate of CGA-Canada and CPA, CGA members in Quebec were no longer, as of that date, members of CGA-Canada.
- Since the CPA, CGA members in Quebec are no longer members of CGA-Canada, and since the Quebec CPA Order no longer has any affiliation with CGA-Canada, CPA, CGA members in Quebec are without standing under the existing CGA MRA with the ACCA. Accordingly, the Board of Directors of the Quebec CPA Order informed the ACCA that it had to withdraw from the MRA. Under the terms of the MRA agreement, the termination of the rights under the MRA will only take effect one year from now (October 2013).
- Furthermore, workforce mobility is guaranteed under the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT). The CPA Act recognized this principle and the regulations adopted by the Board of Directors of the Quebec CPA Order. Accordingly, all CAs, CGAs and CMAs from other Canadian provinces or territories will be recognized as CPAs in Quebec. Under AIT, Quebec CPAs enjoy the same recognition in the other Canadian provinces and territories.
- The Quebec CPA Order is still affiliated with the CICA and CMA Canada. We have always been and remain fully committed to protecting all members’ rights, and the other principles driving unification.
- To ensure our members receive appropriate services from a national body going forward, the Quebec CPA Order intends to continue to be linked with CICA and CMA Canada, and CPA Canada when it is formed, and to work on behalf of all its members as future MRAs are negotiated.
Should you have any question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact us:
T 514 288-3256  • 1 800 363-4688