Equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree
Did you complete your studies outside Canada?
Step 1 – Prerequisites assessment
Before you begin your path, you must have your education assessed to find out which prerequisite courses you must pass to obtain equivalence of a degree and be eligible for the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP).
To do so, you must apply to one of the universities accredited by the Order and pay the required fees. The university will provide you with a list of qualifying undergraduate courses1. Please note that the Order reserves the right to amend the list as necessary.
Concordia University - John-Molson School of Business (JMSB)
École des sciences de la gestion de l'Université du Québec à Montréal (ESG UQAM) (in French)
Faculté des sciences de l’administration de l’Université Laval (FSA ULaval) (in French)
HEC Montréal (in French)
McGill University - Desautels Faculty of Management
McGill University - School of Continuing Studies - Diploma in Accounting
Université de Sherbrooke (in French)
Université d'Ottawa (in French)
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (in French)
Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (in French)
Université du Québec en Outaouais (in French)
Université du Québec à Rimouski (in French)
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (in French)
1 If you wish to contest your list of qualifying courses, you may apply for a review with the Order’s Qualification committee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to submit all the documentation required for your file to be reviewed. If you disagree with the committee’s proposal as well, you may submit your file to the Commissaire à l'admission aux professions.
Step 2 – Opening a temporary file with the Order
You must then open a temporary file with the Order to have the list of courses issued by the university approved. Your application will be processed within approximately 120 days from the time you begin the process with the university.
All documents should be sent in a PDF format in the same email at email@example.com.
- University level transcript(s)*
- University level degree(s)*
- Proof of identity and/or status in Canada
- List of qualifying courses duly completed and signed by the person in charge at the university
- Application for opening of temporary file [PDF]
- Resume (if you have worked in accounting in the past)
- MIDI/WES Comparative evaluation (if you completed studies outside Canada)
- Proof of membership in a foreign professional accounting organization (if applicable)
* Documents in a language other than French or English must be translated by a certified translator. If necessary, the Order reserves the right to request the original documents.
Step 3 – Eligibility for the PEP
After you have passed the qualifying courses on your list, your grade point average (GPA) will be used to determine your eligibility for the Professional Education Program (PEP):
- National program (offered by the Order): minimum average grade of B- (GPA of 2.8/4.3 or 2.7/4.0).
- University program (graduate degree): the university may have additional requirements to the minimum average grade of B- (GPA of 2.8/4.3 or 2.7/4.0).
If so, you must obtain the Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Quebec2 from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). You may also submit a credential evaluation from the World Education Services (WES).
If your level of studies is similar to that of one of Quebec’s three-year undergraduate degrees, you can move on to step 1.
2 If your application for a comparative evaluation of studies done outside Canada has not been submitted, you can request a letter from the Order to help expedite the processing of your file at the MIDI. Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your complete home address.
Did you know?
The Order periodically organizes information sessions to answer questions from foreign-trained professionals who want to become CPAs in Quebec.