Equivalence of a recognized undergraduate degree

Are you interested in the CPA profession but do not hold one of the degrees recognized in Quebec? You can begin the path leading to the CPA designation after completing the following few steps.

Did you complete your studies outside Canada?

If so, you must obtain the Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Quebec* from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). You may also submit a credential evaluation from the World Education Services (WES).

If your level of studies is similar to that of one of Quebec’s three-year undergraduate degrees, you can move on to the step of the prerequisites assessment.

The Order periodically organizes information sessions to answer questions from foreign-trained professionals who want to become CPAs in Quebec.

Add your name to our mailing list >
Attend the next session >

* If your application for a comparative evaluation of studies done outside Canada has not been submitted, you can request a letter from the Order to help expedite the processing of your file at the MIDI. Email your request to equivalence@cpaquebec.ca and include your complete home address.

1 – Prerequisites assessment

In-class learning

Before you begin your path, you must have your education assessed to find out which prerequisite courses you must pass to obtain equivalence of a degree and be eligible for the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP).

To do so, you must apply to one of the universities accredited by the Order and pay the required fees. The university will provide you with a list of qualifying undergraduate courses (or any other equivalence, if applicable).1 Please note that the Order reserves the right to amend the list as necessary.

See the list of prerequisite courses for each university >

1 If you wish to contest your list of qualifying courses, you may apply for a review with the Order’s Qualification committee by email to equivalence@cpaquebec.ca. Be sure to submit all the documentation required for your file to be reviewed. If you disagree with the committee’s proposal as well, you may submit your file to the Commissaire à l'admission aux professions.

Distance learning

Important: The distance learning program is offered in French only in Quebec. The program is available in English in the other provinces, but the examinations cannot be written in Quebec.

You may be allowed to complete your prerequisite courses through distance learning if you successfully completed one of the following with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5/4.3 (or equivalent):

  • an undergraduate degree other than in accounting sciences or equivalent; OR
  • an undergraduate degree in accounting sciences or equivalent outside Canada.

In collaboration with École des sciences de la gestion (ESG UQAM), Université TÉLUQ has developed a distance learning program accredited by the Order. Students who successfully complete the program with a minimum GPA of 2.8/4.3 can be admitted to the CPA Professional Education Program. 

See the list of courses >

2 Distance learning is only offered in French in Quebec. If you choose a distance learning program in another canadian province, it will not be possible to pass your examinations in Quebec.

Prerequisites courses for each university

Bishop's University 
Concordia University - John-Molson School of Business (JMSB) 
École des sciences de la gestion de l'Université du Québec à Montréal (ESG UQAM) (in French)
Faculté des sciences de l'administration de l'Université Laval (FSA ULaval) (in French) 
HEC Montréal (in French)
McGill University – School of Continuing Studies
Université de Sherbrooke (in French)
Université d'Ottawa (in French)
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (in French) 
Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (in French) 
Université du Québec en Outaouais (in French) 
Université du Québec à Rimouski (in French) 
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (in French)
Université TÉLUQ (in French)

2 – Opening a temporary file with the Order

You must then open a temporary file with the Order to have the list of courses issued by the university approved. Your application will be processed within approximately 60 days from the date you submitted your complete file to the Order.

Documents required to open a file

All documents should be sent in a PDF format in the same email at equivalence@cpaquebec.ca.

Mandatory documents

  • University level transcript(s)*
  • University level degree(s)*
  • Proof of identity and/or status in Canada
  • List of qualifying courses duly completed and signed by the person in charge at the university
  • Application for opening of temporary file [PDF]

Additional documents

  • Resume (if you have worked in accounting in the past)
  • MIDI/WES Comparative evaluation (if you completed studies outside Canada)
  • Proof of membership in a foreign professional accounting organization (if applicable)

* Documents in a language other than French or English must be translated by a certified translator. If necessary, the Order reserves the right to request the original documents.

3 – Eligibility for the PEP

After you have passed the qualifying courses on your list, your grade point average (GPA) will be used to determine your eligibility for the Professional Education Program (PEP):

  • National program (offered by the Order): minimum average grade of B- (GPA of 2.8/4.3 or 2.7/4.0).
  • University program (graduate degree): the university may have additional requirements to the minimum average grade of B- (GPA of 2.8/4.3 or 2.7/4.0).

If you wish to practice public accountancy (CPA auditor designation), make sure you know the requirements.