Do you know Julie Cardinal, the candidate who received the highest standing in Canada in the September 2016 Common Final Examination (CFE)? A private person, Julie agreed to reveal a few aspects of her personality and her 6 tips for an effective exam preparation.
At the Permit Presentation ceremony on March 11, 2017, Julie received her gold medal, a CPA Foundation scholarship, a CPA Canada prize, and an honorary certificate.
CFE preparation : 6 tips for success
- Have a good notebook with extensive notes that summarize all the subjects.
- Time yourself on each question and stick to the allotted time.
- Take time to read the case study in order to identify the issues.
- Before you start writing, prepare an outline of the requests to be addressed and structures for each.
- Revisit case studies to determine what you did well and what you should work on.
- Rest and don't do too much! More is not always better.
Julie in a few questions...
What is your proudest achievement?
Ranking first in Canada on the CFE ;-)
What led you to choose the CPA designation?
I wanted comprehensive training covering all business areas which would open doors to a senior management position.
What is your long-term career goal?
To become the CFO of a large company.
What is your favourite treat after a long study day?
Eating sushi with friends.
Who inspired you in your career?
My former boss, Lyne Giroux, who taught me a lot about business and still continues to inspire me to become a career woman.
What was your reaction when you found out you earned the gold metal?
No way... I can't be first in Canada!
What would you like to say to other future CPAs?
As long as you are well prepared for the CFE, you'll pass it.
What is your sure-fire way for managing stress?
Making sure that I've done everything to be ready, that every single item on my to-do list is checked off.
Which area of accounting are you most passionate about?
I prefer audit and financial analysis.
What is a funny fact about you?
I talk really fast!
* Information valid at the time of interview