Taxable benefits and allowances – Webinar
ACTIVITY OFFERED IN PARTNERSHIP
- Partner: The Canadian Payroll Association
- Registration/cancellation: Follow the Order’s normal procedure.
- Final registration confirmation sent by: The Canadian Payroll Association
- Price: Please see the schedule fee below. Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Online courses: The Canadian Payroll Association will send by email, in the 7 days prior to the course, the information needed to access your online course.
Webinar – Technical Information
Before registering to a Webinar offered by the CPA, you must perform a test on your computer. To execute this test, the Adobe Connect application must have been installed.
Diagnostic Test – Adobe Connect
This diagnotic test was prepared to make sure your computer and network connection are configured so that your Adobe Connect experience will be optimal. Click here to access the test, then click on the "Run Diagnostic Test" button to execute the test.
Avoid government audits. Know the rules on the more than 40 common taxable benefits and allowances included in employment income, such as automobile allowances, loan and stock options, gift cards, and more. Make sure your employer is accurately withholding, remitting and complying with year-end reporting requirements. Avoid the most common compliance issues found in CRA and Revenu Québec audits.
One of the most common audit issues is excluding taxable benefits and allowances from employment income. Employers are responsible for: determining whether the benefits they offer are taxable to their employees, adding the value of those benefits to reportable income; and, withholding, remitting and reporting the required statutory deductions to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (RQ). This seminar offers an in-depth review of applicable legislation and regulations and explains the key concepts used by CRA and RQ to evaluate taxability and assess more than 40 common benefits, including automobile allowances, loan and stock options, gift cards and more.
Taxable Benefits Legislation
- Determining and applying taxable benefits values
- Acts, statutes and regulations
- Administrative policy
- Allowances vs. expense reimbursements vs. taxable benefits
Sales Tax Issues
- GST/PST/QST/HST and other provincial taxes
- Withholding, remitting and reporting
Automobile Benefits and Allowances
- Definition, calculation
- Deduction and reporting
- Benefit components
- Personal/business use
- Reduction of the automobile benefit
Loans and Stock Options
- Employee loans
- Forgiven amounts
- Stock options/stock purchase plans
Other Benefits and Allowances
- Taxable vs. non-taxable benefits, allowances
- Counselling fees and services, parking, awards, gifts, etc.
- Car, meal, clothing and moving allowances
- Source deductions
- Year end reporting
All payroll/human resources professionals or anyone responsible for calculating taxable benefits and allowances for employees within their organization.