19 CPAs awarded the title of Fellow in honour of their exceptional career
Montreal, May 28, 2014 – Last Saturday, the Ordre des CPA du Québec proudly honoured 19 chartered professional accountants by bestowing upon them the prestigious title of Fellow Chartered Professional Accountant (FCPA) at the FCPA Crystal Ball, hosted by the dazzling Geneviève Borne. With 235 family members and friends in attendance, the gala evening included the presentation of the 2014 Outstanding Achievement Award to an FCPA whose numerous professional achievements, extensive community service, unwavering determination and exemplary leadership made him an obvious choice for this honour.
1st row: Anne-Marie Éthier, Francine Gélinas, Maarika Paul, Luc Blanchard, Michel Vézina. 2nd row: Carolle Brabant, Michel Chénier, Nathalie Marcoux, Rémi Marcoux’s daughter, Marie-Claude Boisvert, Stephan Robitaille, Chair of the Order, Dominique Collin, Emmanuel Dubourg, Michael Frankel, Robert Fetherstonhaugh. 3rd row: Daniel McMahon, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Order, Alain Trudeau, Nicolas Marcoux, André Miville, René Bégin, François Laurin, Marc Fortin, Yves Frenette.
2014 Outstanding Achievement Award
This year’s Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Rémi Marcoux, FCPA, FCA, founder and board member of TC Transcontinental. The man who redefined Quebec’s print and media industry began his career at Messageries Dynamiques, a Québecor subsidiary, and then served as vice-president of operations of Québecor under Pierre Péladeau’s leadership. Mr. Marcoux resigned from this prestigious position to try his luck as an entrepreneur, reviving a print shop and a publishing house. Along with two partners, he then turned around a struggling small business, Trans-Continental Printing, where he remained at the helm until 2004 and served as executive chairman of the board until February 2012. Today, TC Transcontinental boasts revenues of $2.1 billion and employs over 9,000 people. Recognized for his achievements with numerous honours, Mr. Marcoux was also inducted into the North American Printing Industry Hall of Fame—a great honour presented by the industry to which he has devoted his career. A graduate of HEC Montréal, this accomplished businessman is also a dedicated philanthropist for his alma mater. He has given much of his time and money to the school, most notably to the Chair in Arts Management, which today bears his and his wife’s name, and Parcours entrepreneurial Rémi-Marcoux, a program launched in 2013 to foster the entrepreneurial spirit in undergraduate students and drive them to take action. Thanks to his lasting influence, this distinguished Fellow of the Order was a natural choice for the Outstanding Achievement Award.
New 2014 Fellows
The Chair of the Order, Stephan Robitaille, FCPA, FCGA, also welcomed the 19 new CPA Fellows, pointing out that “these men and women play a very important role in building the accounting profession’s credibility, recognition and prestige. Their outstanding achievements, dedication and visionary spirit bring honour to the CPA profession, thus contributing to its reputation for excellence,” said Mr. Robitaille.
The title of Fellow is presented annually to a small number of CPAs among the 36,000 members of the Order. These new FCPAs are joining a select group that now includes 636 CPAs who have distinguished themselves in all the areas of expertise of the accounting profession. “Each year, I am always greatly impressed by the exceptional careers of the members being honoured. They have each left their mark on Quebec’s landscape and become inspirations not only for the next generation but for all their colleagues as well,” said Daniel McMahon, FCPA, FCA, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Order.
This year’s 19 new CPA Fellows are:
- René Bégin, Partner, President and Chief Executive Officer, Lemieux Nolet, Chartered Professional Accountants
- Luc Blanchard, Vice-President and Wealth Advisor, BMO Nesbitt Burns
- Marie-Claude Boisvert, Chief Operating Officer, Desjardins Business Capital régional et coopératif, Desjardins Group
- Carolle Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm Canada
- Michel Chénier, President and Chief Executive Officer, Coopérative agricole d’Embrun
- Dominique Collin, Owner/shareholder, DCA, comptable professionnel agréé
- Emmanuel Dubourg, MP, Liberal Party of Canada – Bourassa Riding
- Anne-Marie Éthier, Partner, Deloitte
- Robert Fetherstonhaugh, Chair of the Board, Fetherstonhaugh Family Foundation
- Marc Fortin, Partner, Deloitte
- Michael Frankel, Partner, Richter
- Yves Frenette, Vice-President of Human Resources, Finance and Performance, Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
- Francine Gélinas, Honorary Professor, UQAM School of Management (ESG UQAM)
- François Laurin, Chief Financial Officer, Alderon Iron Ore Corp.
- Nicolas Marcoux, Partner, PwC
- André Miville, Director General, Professional Practice, ministère des Finances –Comptroller of finance
- Maarika Paul, First Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Alain Trudeau, Managing Partner, Quebec Offices, Assurance Services, EY
- Michel Vézina, Full Professor, Director of the Certificate Programs, HEC Montréal
About the FCPA title
The FCPA title formally recognizes those members who have rendered outstanding services to the profession, or whose achievements in their careers or in the community have earned them distinction and brought honour to the profession.
About the Ordre des CPA du Québec
The Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec has over 36,000 members and 7,000 future CPAs. The Order ensures the protection of the public and the visibility of the profession. It represents all areas of expertise of the accounting profession, including assurance, financial accounting, management and management accounting, finance and taxation.
- 30 -
Manager, Public Affairs
Ordre des CPA du Québec
T. 514 288.3256  1 800 363.4688
Follow the CPA Order on social media!