1,183 Quebec candidates pass the CPA Common final examination in a setting adapted to the challenges of the pandemic
Montréal, November 27, 2020 – The results of the 2020 Common Final Examination (CFE) of chartered professional accountants were released today. The Quebec CPA Order is delighted to recognize the success of 1,183 Quebec candidates at this national examination, which is a major milestone on the path to the CPA designation.
“In a year of unprecedented upheaval, extraordinary actions were taken to create a safe environment that ensured the integrity of the examination process. No fewer than 475 volunteers across Quebec made sure that the CFE went smoothly and provided support to the candidates, who wrote their exams alone in hotel rooms. This critical step of their path, which is challenging and stressful in the best of times, unfolded in optimal conditions despite the health crisis,” said Geneviève Mottard, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Order.
Ariane Villemure, a Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières graduate, earned the Gold Medal for Quebec, a $2,500 cash prize from CPA Canada and a $2,500 scholarship from the Foundation of Quebec CPAs for the highest standing in Quebec. The National Honour Roll, which features the candidates with the top 74 results from across the country, includes 11 candidates from Quebec, in addition to the gold medalist, who will each receive a $1,500 scholarship from the Quebec CPA Foundation.
List of candidates from Quebec on the Canadian Honour Roll
• Nicolas Brooks, HEC Montréal
• Rémi Cayer, HEC Montréal
• Rémi Colpron, National program
• Gabrielle Giroux, HEC Montréal
• Océanne Guyon, Faculté des sciences de l’administration de l’Université Laval
• Justine Latulippe, Université de Sherbrooke
• Mathieu Léveillé, HEC Montréal
• Min Jung Park, McGill University – Desautels Faculty of management
• Catherine Théberge, HEC Montréal
• Xavier Therrien, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
• Amélie Yelle, Faculté des sciences de l’administration de l’Université Laval
About the CFE
- Quebec’s candidates are supported by the high-quality education delivered by the university partners and the Order as well as through the coaching provided by professors, mentors and employers committed to training the next generation.
- A major milestone in the CPA qualification process, the CFE was held simultaneously across Canada on September 9, 10 and 11, 2020.
- The CFE assesses candidates on the following competencies: financial reporting, strategy and governance, management accounting, audit and assurance, finance, and taxation.
- Candidates must also demonstrate effective leadership, communication and teamwork skills, and strong ethical competencies.
- Candidates can write the CFE after successfully completing the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP).
About the Quebec CPA Order
The Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec has 40,000 members and 5,000 future CPAs, making it the third largest professional order in Quebec. The Order ensures the protection of the public and the visibility of the profession. It represents all areas of expertise of the accounting profession, including financial reporting, management accounting, strategy and governance, audit and assurance, finance and taxation.
- 30 -
Advisor, Public Relations and Societal Communications
Quebec CPA Order