Role and commitments
The Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec (Quebec CPA Order) has 40,000 members and 5,000 future CPAs, making it the 3rd largest professional order in Quebec. It represents all areas of expertise of the accounting profession at the service of enterprises, organizations and the general public:
- Financial reporting
- Management accounting
- Strategy and governance
- Audit and assurance
The CPA Order is a professional order as defined by the Professional Code, that is, a body whose primary mission is to protect the public. It is also an order whose members practise an exclusive profession, such that only individuals who hold the CPA auditor designation may practise public accountancy (perform audit or review engagements, and issue special reports).
Like Quebec’s other professional orders, the CPA Order must carry out specific functions related to issuing practice permits to candidates for the profession, keeping the roll of the Order current, supervising the practice of the profession and detecting illegal practice. It must also comply with a set of operating rules imposed by the Professional Code.
In order to maintain confidence in the CPA designation — the hallmark of the quality of professional services provided by CPAs — among enterprises, organizations and the general public, the Order provides support and guidance to its members by upholding its core values: Integrity, excellence, commitment, innovation and respect.
- Monitoring the competency development of aspiring candidates to the profession, whether trained in Quebec, in Canada or abroad.
- Ensuring the continuing competency of members through compulsory continuing education, professional inspection and support for public practice.
- Ensuring member compliance with regulatory and ethical obligations.
- Providing the contact information and confirming the status of Order members.
- Addressing questions from the public regarding CPAs’ obligations and informing it of the rights and remedies available, namely:
- Place the protection of the public at the heart of the Order’s every action and leverage the expertise of the accounting profession to serve the collective interest.
- Demonstrate discipline, professionalism, competence, objectivity and transparency in the conduct of our activities.
- Offer courteous and respectful service and provide a personalized timely response to all requests from the public, members or candidates.
- Acknowledge receipt of all requests and promptly forward them to the right person or department, as appropriate.
- Handle all requests we receive with fairness, care, diligence and transparency.
- Demonstrate consideration and openness to encourage dialogue.
- Provide the information and support required to facilitate effective and quick resolution of issues brought to our attention.
- Ensure that accurate information is disseminated and that the Order staff have the required competencies to respond to requests from the public, members and candidates.
- Communicate in a timely manner any decision affecting a member, a candidate or any other person.
- Protect the confidentiality of the information provided to us and permit its disclosure only where authorized by law.