Personally lodging a complaint

You have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Disciplinary council. However, before you do so, it is strongly recommended that you contact the syndic, who has extensive investigative powers and a strong command of the legal procedure.

If the syndic decides to close your file without lodging a complaint with the Disciplinary council, and the Review committee has not overturned the syndic’s decision, you can file a private complaint.

How to lodge a private complaint

When you file a private complaint, you are responsible for preparing the file and presenting the evidence before the Disciplinary council. You have the right to be represented by a lawyer.

Your complaint must be sworn and include a summary of the nature, circumstances, time and place of the offence.


Use our tools to learn more and properly prepare:

How your complaint is processed

To legally start the process, you first have to send your complaint to the Order’s Records Department. Once your complaint is filed, a decision from the Disciplinary council is required to withdraw it. Your complaint will go through the same steps as a complaint lodged by the syndic.

To learn more about hearings, decisions and appeals, go to the Disciplinary process page.

Possible costs

You may be ordered to pay the costs if the CPA against whom you filed a complaint is acquitted of every count contained in the complaint, and the complaint is deemed excessive, frivolous or unfounded. These costs include service costs, registration fees, the cost of expert opinion admitted in evidence, the travel and lodging expenses of Disciplinary council members, as well as the indemnities payable to witnesses.

For more information, see the preparation guide in the toolkit [PDF].


If you have any questions about private complaints, please contact the Records Department at, or by phone at 514 288.3256 [2617] or toll-free at 1 800 363.4688.