The profession in the digital age
In the practice of their profession, CPAs commonly use new technologies and technology-based media, as well as hosting and cloud services, which raises a number of regulatory and ethical challenges.
In response to this situation and in order to properly document the issues involved, the Order has undertaken work that will culminate in a major reform of the Code of ethics of CPAs and the Règlement sur la tenue des dossiers et des cabinets de consultation et sur la cessation d’exercice d’un membre de l’Ordre des CPA (in French only), which is expected to take effect in 2019.
This work is part of a broader discussion on how the Order intends to guide CPAs through the changes impacting the profession. Various working groups are contributing to the development of an action plan to identify the ways in which CPAs and the profession can go digital.
Regardless of the setting in which you practice the profession, it is recommended that you adopt safe, best practices for information technology use. Designed in a clear and easy-to-read format, the CPA guide on best practices in IT use is the ultimate tool to help you adapt your day-to-day processes.
The Order, the Barreau du Québec and the Chambre des notaires have teamed up for a unique initiative to evaluate market offerings and present their members with a turnkey cloud service solution that ensures information security and contributes to their common mission: protecting the public. The consortium formed by Lafortune Technologies and Avancie was retained.
- VOTRE COURRIEL: Secure messaging service
- DOCURIUM: Secure document storage and sharing
- Installation and migration service
- Tech support and training
- Support members in the digital transformation of their practice – break down barriers and resistance to IT use
- Ensure the security, confidentiality, availability and integrity of the information members share and store in the practice of their profession
- Keep up with the rapid virtualization of professional practice – need to access and share files anywhere, anytime
- Protect against the rise in security incidents and cyberattacks, which are affecting large enterprises as well
- Keep this information in Canada
- Help members meet their legal and ethical obligations
- Maintain and enhance public confidence in members
- Sole practitioners or members working in small businesses who want a reasonably priced cloud service solution often available in large practices only
- Members practising outside their regular job who need a high-security environment (consultants, retired members, members on professional or educational leave, etc.)
- Members practising in multidisciplinary enterprises
You have to sign an agreement directly with the Avancie-Lafortune Technologies consortium. Go to www.professionnumerique.ca and fill out the registration form to take advantage of the offer (one or two services). Make sure to have your member number on hand.
cpa-qc.ca: A domain name reserved for CPAs
When you sign up for the cloud service solution Votre courriel, you can create your professional email address with your own domain name or the one reserved by the Order (@cpa-qc.ca). Of course, the email address must meet certain criteria.
Learn more >
- Visit the Expert advice and resources section to access a range of documents, articles and reference tools.
- Adjust your ways of doing things by referring to the CPA guide on best practices in IT use.
- Check out the training activities related to the digital age offered by the Order (BIG DATA, cybersecurity, blockchain, artificial intelligence, Power BI, and more).
- Test your knowledge about data security in the digital age by answering this quiz.