The Common Final Examination (CFE) is a three-day examination. While the purpose to the CFE is first to evaluate the competencies acquired in the program, all prior learnings are also testable. You will have to draw on knowledge acquired:*
- during the undergraduate program (or the equivalency process),
- during the core and elective modules of the national program delivered by the Order or the university graduate program courses.
* In accordance with the CPA Competency Map Knowledge Supplement.
Sample cases for each day are published on the CPA Canada website: read the examples!
The following documents are available on the CPA Canada website:
- September 2015 Board of Examiners’ Report
- May 2016 Board of Examiners' Report related to the Day 1 case Rejuvenating Spa Inc. (RSI - September 2015 and May 2016) and May 2016 CFE case studies
- May 2016 CFE Report Supplement providing commentary from the Board of Examiners on candidates’ performance for the Day 2 and Day 3 simulations
- September 2016 Board of Examiners' Report related to the Day 1 Canada Heavy Engineering Incorporated (CHEI - May and September 2016) and September 2016 CFE case studies
September 2017 Board of Examiners' Report related to the Day 1 Phoenix Risen Inc. (PRI - September 2016 and 2017) and September 2017 CFE case studies
September 2018 Board of Examiners' Report related to the Day 1 Cinémas FVT Inc. (FVT - September 2017 and 2018) and September 2018 CFE case studies
Complete September 2019 CFE Report (will be available by May 2020)
Examination preparation services
We also offer 3 service options to better help you prepare for Day 2 and Day 3. To register for one of these options, fill out the online registration form before the deadline. The required fees must be paid in full immediately upon receipt of the registration confirmation, otherwise your registration will be automatically cancelled. When confirming your registration, we will provide you with the necessary information for payment.
Important: The options below are non-compulsory. If you would like tools to help you prepare for the CFE, in addition to your education program, you can take advantage of these options.
Option for all candidates (1st attempt or rewrite of Days 2 and 3)
Individual feedback schedule
Options for rewrite candidates (Day 2 and 3)
You can choose to register for Capstone 2, which is delivered by the Order.
If you have any questions about the examination preparation service, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates will have access to restricted resource material on all three days of the CFE:
- the CPA Canada Handbook;
- the Income Tax Act;
- tax shield formula; and
- other relevant tax information.
The standards and regulations are those in effect as of December 31 prior to the examination.
Visit the CPA Canada website to obtain clarification on the exam software reference material cut-off date and testable material used for the next examination.
To familiarize yourself with the CFE regulations, please watch CPA Canada’s video.