The period of practical experience is a vital and highly rewarding part of a future CPA’s education. It is designed for you to acquire practical experience in accounting.
Plus, CPA practical experience is paid!
See what candidates and young CPAs have to say about it! (in French only)
Your period of practical experience provides an opportunity to:
- work in a real-life management and decision-making context and develop the most sought-after skills in the business world;
- develop the CPA competencies based on your interests: financial reporting, management accounting, finance, assurance, taxation, strategy and governance;
- benefit from the expertise and insight of a CPA mentor;
- apply the knowledge acquired at university in a professional environment;
- experience a work setting of your choice: industry, accounting firm, public and parapublic sector, not-for-profit organization.
Whatever your aspirations, CPA practical experience lets you chart your own path and prepare your entry into the business world. The possibilities are as vast and varied as your interests! Examples of practical experience positions are available to assist you in your search.
Practical experience by the numbers
- 24 months: total period of practical experience completed on a full-time basis, 32 hours per week minimum.
- 60 days: deadline for submitting your Declaration of the start of a practical experience period after your first day of work.
- 8 months of practical experience: maximum that can be completed and recognized before the start of the registration with the Order and after having completed a minimum of 30 university credits.
- 2 meetings per year with your CPA mentor in order to prepare your practical experience reports.
Term of practical experience
The period of practical experience may be completed on a full- or part-time basis, but in either case, it lasts a total of 24 months and excludes time worked on weekends.
The 24-month period of practical experience comprises a maximum of 30 working days absent (including vacation, sick days, education leaves, etc.), excluding statutory holidays.
When does practical experience start?
You can start your period of practical experience after you have completed 30 university credits. However, a minimum of 16 months of practical experience must be completed after registering with the Order.
Candidate and employer's responsibilities
Watch our video to better understand the expectations and requirements of the practical experience.